Sunday, April 20, 2014

Memento

“ I have to believe my actions still have meaning"

"I have to believe when my eyes are closed, the world still there..."


I love this movie and I really enjoyed watching it. I though I never watched it before, but somehow, when I watch this I felt I know some scenes. I guess I must have seen this movie with my family when I was little, but It is like a blurring memory.
Talking about blurring memory, I like how this movie works. Leonard, the main actor uses hand-written notes, tattoos, and Polaroid photos to catch his memory. But from the movie, I can see that if the memories is not right, what’s the point to record them. He did remember and forget lots of times, and he tattooed just in case he forgot. but he likes to lie to himself (maybe not on purpose). He was not remember the right thing. He is lost but he still so sure about everything— that is the terrible part. Leonard believes everything in his mind, but he's sick, even till the end of the movie, after he doubting if the world he lived was real, he believed he's right. 

I like how this movie arranged, the order and cut is amazing. I like how memories show on photos and body, and all of them are messed up, when I thought I got the answer, things changed again. Even the ending is still confusing, there are so many guesses for this movies. In addition to this, the scenes with two parts- black and white, with colors. It helps the visual view of messed memory pieces. Black and white presents memory which likely all movies does. But in this movies, the colored part seems like to find the answer for the black and white part, but it is also talks about memories in this part. I think this is a key reason why this whole movie is so effective.

I think the concept of labyrinth in this movie is obvious-- seems disordered, non-linear, endless ending, different colored scenes, and un clearly evidences. (tattoos, photos)Also, the people in the phone, who is so mysterious that no one knows who it is. All those 
elements makes this movie very enjoyable, and you want to watch this again and again to see the right answer.

However, I do not think there is a right answer for this. Maybe he is the murder, maybe he is not sick or maybe the world is not real...

Because of many unknowns in this movie, the concept of labyrinth really worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment