Sunday, February 16, 2014

Time Map

For "time map" project, I came up a lot ideas. For example, to shot the process of tieing up hair, spread ink in the water, Blinking eyes and so on. In the end, I choose my favorite idea- burning paper. 
How:
I've tried many times of burning different size of paper. Personally, I really afraid of fire thing, I always keep away from fire, even candle fire. So, for this reason, I began from burning tiny piece. Then I tried bigger and bigger sizes. Also I tried to roll papers together as a ball, but while I was taking picture of the process, the fire became a little out of control.  
After many time experiences, I decided the paper size I have below. 











It's a perfect burning paper size for camera to catch the process of beautiful flames of paper, and how burning paper fade away with black burnt edges. 

The idea of this project is to document the process of a burning paper piece. 
I decided to use the concept of "Fan" to show the "time map". 

I choose transparent thin plastic paper as the background of my photos, cut them by 2 8.  I wanted to give a clean look for the whole piece.  For controlling how wide each piece goes, I hollowed out a strip Shape hole on top of each plastic pieces. The longer strips are, the wider the fan is. Then I put fasterning pins in the hole to connect those pieces together.  I like the combination of transparent and gold. 

At the end, I used spray glue to stick my photos separately on each plastic paper. ( photo below)







Idea:

The concept of it is that: When you close the fan, you cannot see any process , just the first one photo of a clean white paper. However, when you open the fan one piece by one piece, you find out the process of burning paper. I did on purpose of only show 1/3 part of the photos when you open the fan, in this way, you can only see the changing parts of the burning process. With the clean background, all attention is got on the photos. 

I love to try new things, like break my fear of fire to crate a new project, and document the beauty of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment